5 Ways to Prevent Arthritis
Steps You Can Take for maintaining your bones healthy and minimizing risk of getting arthritis are:
- Be physically active. An active lifestyle can help decrease the risk of fractures and keep your joints flexible. It can improve your ability to do daily activities and improve your overall health and fitness. Aim to do weight-bearing activities like walking, dancing, climbing stairs, or using weights at the gym.
- Prevent falls and avoid injuries. Reduce your risk of falling by making your home safer. For example, use a rubber bath mat in the shower and tub. Keep your floors free from clutter.
- Maintain your optimum body weight. The more excess weight you have, the more pressure you put on your joints and the faster they wear out.
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D. Both are important for strong bones. Be sure to talk with your health care provider about calcium and Vitamin D in your diet.
- Stay hydrated. Keep your joint cartilage healthy by drinking 6 to 8 cups of water throughout the day.